Thursday, July 16, 2015

England, day 13

The first preconference activity was today.  We had a choice of either going on a river cruise through London or visiting the Windsor castle.  Abby chose to go on the cruise while I went to the castle.  Today was the first time we have been apart for a lengthy period of time since we arrived in Europe. On the way to the castle, I met a lady and chatted with her.  

The castle is huge!  I can't imagine living in a house like this. 









They had an exhibit called "Queen Mary's Dolls' House".  It was a miniature replica of the castle and decorated with furniture the way it would have looked back then.  Then I went through the state apartments.  They were not apartments but rather the king and queen's residence.  It was decorated the way it would have looked back then.  I didn't take any pictures because photography was forbidden.  One thing I found interesting is that the rooms were decorated with lots of life size portraits and huge paintings.  They were mostly of former rulers, family members, etc while the painting in Italy was more of god, Jesus, and the disciples. 




Changing of the guards ceremony 






I didn't stay for the entire ceremony. I was scared it would last for a hour like the one at Buckingham. 

Before I went to Windsor castle, I looked up things to do in this area and found out that there is an all boys' boarding school near the castle called Eton college.  I was determined to check it out so I walked there after visiting the castle.  It was about 1 1/2 miles away.  Eton is a cute village with lots of small shops lining the street.  I enjoyed just walking in the village and doing some window shopping.  

A river separates Windsor from Eton. 

Flag lined street 

Church as a part of Eton college

Front 

Students at work in the arch.  Too bad there aren't many students around.  From what I read, they have an unique uniform. 

An example of their uniform I found online 

Eton college and chapel

Chapel 

Cemetery on the grounds of the chapel

I walked back to the castle and then to the bus area.  I was exhausted from all that walking up and down hills that I fell asleep and slept the entire way back to the hotel, and then had a little nap in my room.  After my nap, I met Abby and some of her friends, ate a dinner of pasta and then ran 4 miles. 

While in Eton, I realized that today is the exact halfway point of our trip. We have been gone from America for 2 weeks and have 2 more weeks till we are back!

No comments:

Post a Comment