July 22, 2015
I typed up a long post along with pictures of yesterday's adventures and it disappeared! Argh! This is my second try so I am going to just type everything and post some pictures.
In the morning, Abby and I went to the city hall for a tour. It was one of the most beautiful buildings I have seen here. The Nobel Peace Prize dinner and ball is held here every year on December 10th.
"Blue room". This room was supposed to be painted blue but when the architect saw how great it looked with red bricks, the plan was dropped. This is also where the Nobel peace prize dinner is held, every year on December 10th
Municipal session room. The people have their own jobs during the day, then come here to serve their country in the evenings. I wonder what America would be like if we did that... Hmm
After the city hall tour, Abby and I went up the city hall tower for a panoramic view of Stockholm. We decided to do the stairs all the way up instead of using an elevator to reach the half way point. Abby did a great job going up the stairs!
The clock on the side of city hall tower was supposed to play at noon. After 12 bells and some bell music, it never moved :(
Then we ate some lunch at the city hall and walked over to Gamla Stan (old city).
City hall is behind us
Then we visited the state and guest apartments.
Dining room at the state apartments. The winners of the Nobel Peace Prize are invited over for dinner on this table
King bedroom. I want this canopy for my bed in my apartment!
Hall that can seat 170 people for a dinner party
Finnish church. All church services were conducted in Latin until after the Protestant reformation, each group of people set up their own church.
Oldest plaza in Stockholm, site of the Swedish bloodbath where many Swedish people were be headed for not following rules
See the symbol on top of #46? Back in the day, people placed this plague to let firefighters know who had insurance and whose houses were worth saving in case of fire.
As you can see, Abby and I walked a lot today. We walked a total of 11 miles and went up 37 stories!











































































No comments:
Post a Comment