Tuesday, July 21, 2015

England/Sweden day 17

July 20, 2015

We woke up a little early and had to rush a little bit this morning because we had a flight to catch.  We took the CODA shuttle to Heathrow airport and after some confusion, we checked in our bags.  Just when I was thinking that the security line was going smooth, I either got chosen randomly or my belt that I forgot to take off set the alarm so the security lady hand searched me.  In America, it would take a few minutes and be over with.  Well in England, the lady searched almost every part of me that she could get her hands on, including under the waistband of my jeans.  It was an interesting experience.  

After that was done, Abby, I and a new friend we met at the conference decided to get some breakfast.  While eating our breakfast, Abby heard over the loudspeaker that a flight to Stockholm was delayed for 2 hours.  We thought it was our plane and they asked that passengers of that flight go to the ticketing desk. After we were done eating, I went down to the ticketing office like they asked.  The guy there printed us new tickets and told me to go to gate A17.  I was confused why he told me to go if it was delayed so I checked the monitors to find that the plane was boarding now so Abby and I hurried down to board the plane.  Imagine if I didn't go down to the desk, we would have missed our plane!  Whew!  It was only 10 am at that point and we had only been awake for 4 hours.  We had enough excitement in that 4 hours to last us a week! 

Bye bye England! (It was the only British related thing we could find near the gate.)

Our flight to Stockholm was uneventful.  Abby and I slept most of the way.  We landed and went through customs.  I got my first Swedish stamp in my passport although this is my fourth time here. 

I was a bit excited to finally get a Sweden stamp!

We got our bags and boarded the bus to Stockholm.  It was about a 40 minute ride.  We saw lots of trees on the way to Stockholm.  We arrived the bus station and found he hostel pretty easily, got settled in and went out to eat at the Hard Rock Cafe, marking the third Hard Rock Cafe visit this trip. 



Dinner was delish, a huge improvement from the dinners we have been having at the hotel for the past week. 

We walked back to the hostel, stopping by the food store to get breakfast food since breakfast isn't included.  I took some pictures of Stockholm. 

The buildings are tall.

Stockholm library, thought the sun play was interesting. 

A building 

Streets are lined with tall buildings. 

Black domes in the middle of the picture.. Interesting

Dome and steeple

At the airport, we exchanged our money from pounds to kronas.  This marks the fourth time we have had to exchange our currency.  The fifth time would be to change to the U.S. Dollar!

Also, Swedish people drive on the right side of the road, a huge relief for Abby and I from feeling scared to cross the road because we are not sure which way to look.  Ireland and England both drive on the left side of the road.  

No comments:

Post a Comment